Monday, August 14, 2017

Eiffel Tower, Paris: My Favorite Place


Photograph taken by French photographer,
known by the username NonOmnisMoriar. Source: Wikimedia

My favorite place may be a bit cliché, but it is mine nonetheless. My entire life, I dreamed of going to Paris and exploring France. I wanted to speak French before I even knew what languages were. I wanted to "talk like Belle" and go to the cathedral from which Quasimodo gazed down at the people of Paris. I wanted to explore like the little red-haired orphan Madeline and find out how a city could capture millions of imaginations including my own.

The spring of my sophomore year, I studied abroad in Clermont-Ferrand, France. My first trip to France would be for five months. So I had to hope the country would be everything it was cracked up to be because I was stuck there for a while whether I liked it or not. 

I am not ashamed to admit that I cried when I first saw the Eiffel Tower. It was a mixture of happiness, relief, and travel fatigue. Pure bliss that I was actually in Paris, gazing up at a structure I had only dreamed of for twenty years. Relief that it was even better than I had imagined and could comprehend before that moment. Travel fatigue... I had been awake for over 24 hours. 

I could share so many stories about magical moments I have had at the Eiffel Tower, but suffice it to say that it is the most wonderful place I have ever been and will ever go to again. 

Personal photo taken by Laura Joly
 January 16, 2016



2 comments:

  1. How cool that Paris was a childhood fantasy for you, Jillian... and of course French fairy tales, including La Belle et la Bête, are incredibly important for the whole fairy tale tradition. Do you know about Madame Catherine D'Aulnoy who coined the term fairy tale? One of the first professional women writers in France too! Maybe you will want to explore some of her gorgeous stories for this class!
    Catherine D'Aulnoy
    ... perhaps Madame D'Aulnoy could magically come back to life (hey, why not?) and you could take her on a tour of Paris while listening to her tell stories! Anything you can dream up is possible. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of D'Aulnoy before now, thank you for recommending her! I am all about women ahead of their time, succeeding in a man's world. I also love everything French and fairy tales so she seems like my kind of person! And yes, maybe she and I will have to meet up in a cafe in Paris and I can tell the class about it!

    ReplyDelete