Saturday, August 19, 2017

Exploring Reading Options

When first beginning this assignment, I made the decision not to do readings on topics I'm terribly familiar with. I could learn more about Greek/Roman mythology and European fairy tales everyday and be happy forever, but I know so much about it already. So I'm forcing myself out of my comfort zone to learn more about different mythology and folklore.

So I think that I want to do a mix between mythology I know absolutely nothing about (African/Asian units) and those I know a little about, but want to know more (British/Middle Eastern folklore). The two units that seemed the most interesting was the Congolese unit, Beowulf, Chinese Fairy Tales, and Turkish Fairy Tales. It reminds me of how I used to watch these VHS tapes as a kid where Pat Morita compare similar fairy tales around the world. Perhaps my final project can be something along those lines. By expanding the scope of my mythology/folklore stories, I can more easily compare and contrast stories. Maybe compare the portrayal of women?

One thing I feel unclear on is how the units are divided. There are the A and B readings, and within the A and B readings there are numbered stories. We read every story within the A and B readings, correct?
Me in front of the Parthenon, a temple dedicated to Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom.
I hope that Athena will grant me wisdom in my quest to find the best reading units.
Taken by Caroline Shepard, May 2016.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jillian! I am glad you are going to go explore uncharted story territories! And yes, you read all the stories in Part A, but you just need to take notes on the story or stories that really grab your attention. Each part is around 8000 words or so, which means you'll be able to do the reading and notetaking in under an hour for each part. You'll see more how that works when the regular reading starts in Week 3. I hope you will have fun with the little Anthology for Week 2! :-)

    ReplyDelete