Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Week 13 Story: Skin Deep

Dear sister,

     I thought I could make him love me through my wisdom, my faithfulness, and my devotion to him. Instead, he is miserable. He complains of how he could have married any young beautiful woman in the kingdom.
     Does he not remember that I saved his life? He would be dead at the hands of the queen if I had not given him the answer to her question. All I ask in return for his life is that he lives out the rest of mine as my husband. But even that is too much.
     I was once a great beauty, like you are now my beloved sister. How has some knight not snatched you up? I suppose if we based it purely off of looks, then you should be the sister who is married to one of King Arthur's knights, though I may be the more wise and experienced.
     Oh sister, what am I to do? Set him free of the only price I demanded in exchange for his life? Or keep him imprisoned, but make my life just as terrible with his moping and hateful stares?

Yours thoughtfully

Dear sister,

     Your plan was genius and was executed perfectly! What a fool that knight is! I can't believe that going behind the curtain, running away, only for you to come out and claim to be me, only turned beautiful, actually worked! I hadn't realized that people truly are that stupid! You are far more wise than I had ever given you credit for. 
     While I will not be the one to enjoy his affections, I do feel that he has repaid his debt to me by being married to and caring for you, my favorite sister. Also, the amount of silver you have promised to send me every month doesn't hurt either. 
      In regards to your question: no you do not need to worry about recreating the birthmark on my shoulder. I doubt he has any recollection of my "former self" as he probably tried as hard as possible to forget all about it. 
Yours cheerfully

The Woman Transformed
"The old woman transformed" Source
Author's Note: In the original story of The Unknown Bride, the old woman is transformed into a beautiful young woman when the knight admits that he would rather have a faithful ugly wife than a selfish beautiful one. She is then transformed and they live happily ever after. Instead of having her transform, I had her switch places with her sister. 

The Unknown BrideThe Chaucer Story Book by Eva March Tappan (1908).

No comments:

Post a Comment