Monday, September 11, 2017

Feedback Strategies

Article 1: Presence, Not Praise
When I first read your statement about Alfie Kohn believeing that praise raise children to work for pleasing others rather than their own sense of accomplishment, I thought about how that may be true, but I could never do that.  However, after reading this article, I think that my philosophy leans towards this way of viewing praise. I am much like the child discussed in this article that was overpraised as a child, and is now anxious about failure, and feels the need to please teachers. When the article explained presence over praise and gave the example of  the teacher watching a student draw. Just by being there, the student knows that she cares about what he is doing, but doesn't need to be praised for what he is supposed to be doing.

Article 2: The Difference Between Praise and Feedback
My favorite part of this article was the idea that questions are a way of avoiding overpraising. At first I didn't think this could help, but upon further reflection, this is a great way of ensuring that children are participating and trying hard for themselves, rather than for the praise of others. This would be good for adults too. Rather than doing the bare minimum, but asking people about their work, they have to work for their own approval.

Image result for great job!
Meme by Meme TN Source: Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment